Bat World Externship
The Bat World Sanctuary externship program allows aspiring animal caretakers and rehabilitators an opportunity to gain bat care experience at the only accredited bat sanctuary on earth.
Externships will be available from March to September and last 5 working days, for a total of approximately 40 hours. Externships are unpaid at this time. Work days run from Monday to Friday, with the day shift starting at 7:30am-2:30pm. Externs will also accompany a staff member for 2 evening shifts, which typically last 1 to 2 hours. Once you have completed an externship, full length internships may be available on a case by case basis.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
– Assisting staff members and volunteers with animal care in our fruit bat enclosure. This will include a wide variety of tasks, centered around enclosure maintenance. Externs will learn about cleaning protocols, care standards, enrichment activities, and hands on care for elderly bats.
– Learning food prep in our kitchen, where duties may include; washing dishes, chopping fruit, assembling food dishes, and general cleaning.
– Externs who have an up-to-date rabies vaccination will be given the opportunity to assist in our insectivorous bat enclosure, learning about captive care standards and basic bat rehabilitation. Depending upon the time of year, externs may learn basic care and feeding of orphaned insectivorous bat pups. Those who have not been vaccinated against rabies may shadow a staff member for this portion, but will not be permitted to do any hands-on work.
– Joining a staff member for 2 night shifts during your externship is required. The night shift typically takes 1 to 2 hours to complete, and the start time for this shift may range from 5pm-7pm depending upon the time of year. During this shift, you will assist a staff member with supplying the fruit bats with fresh lettuce, handing out melon treats, conducting visual checkups. Rabies vaccinated externs may assist staff members with hand feeding native bats, and unvaccinated externs may observe.
– Externs may accompany staff members on bat rescue calls.
– A desire and passion for bettering the lives of animals by pursuing a career in an animal based field. Preference is given to those who are looking to pursue wildlife rehabilitation.
– An understanding that we are, first and foremost, a bat rehabilitation center. We are not a zoo- we are a sanctuary.
– Preference will be given to those who have practical experience working around animals.
– Being capable of standing, stooping, and walking for long periods of time, as well as being able to lift at least 40 pounds.
– The ability to take direction, a true willingness to learn, and a sincere love for bats.
– Good communication skills and the ability to work as a part of a team.
– 18 years or older with a valid ID.
LOCATION & ACCOMMODATIONS:
– Bat World Sanctuary is located at 299 High Point Rd, Weatherford Texas 76088.
– The nearest airport is the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.
– Accommodations can be found in the nearby town of Mineral Wells (nearest), or Weatherford.
– A 300 square foot tiny house is available for rent on the Bat World Sanctuary property. Our tiny house is equipped with a full sized bed (located up a ladder in the loft area) and a pull out couch. This rental includes a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and television, as well as a full bathroom with shower. Free Wi-Fi is available, and well behaved pets are welcome on a case by case basis. This rental is available to externs at a flat rate of $100 per night. Photos, additional information, and the tiny house rental agreement can be found here.
HOW TO APPLY:
– Review the Externship contract.
– Complete and submit this application.
– Send your resume (with cover letter) and three professional references to [email protected]
-If you would like to rent the tiny house during your stay, please review the rental agreement.
– Once received, we will review your application and contact you if we feel you would be a good fit for the program. Upon acceptance into the program, externs will be required to sign and submit the externship contract, as well as the tiny house rental agreement if they choose to stay on site.