One Day Advance Class on Insectivorous Bat Rehabilitation
NOTE: Participation in this class is by invitation only, for students who have satisfactorily completed the one-day bat rehabilitation workshop and are actively rehabilitating bats.
In this one-day class, participants learn how to manage more complex cases, including long-term care, closed fracture stabilization, open fracture reduction and repair, wound care, anesthesia, and pain management. Proof of rabies pre-exposure vaccination is required at the start of class.
Instructor: Kate Rugroden
Co-instructors: Lori Sanderson & Jacqui Sutherland
Date and Location:
October 20 – Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX (Bat World Sanctuary, Weatherford, Texas)
Information: Contact Instructor Kate Rugroden: [email protected]
Limit: 6 students
Topics covered in this workshop include:
- Long-term care
- Wound care
- Dental Care
- Lab I – Dental cleaning and extraction
- Pain Management
- Closed fracture stabilization techniques
- Lab II – closed fracture practice with cadavers
- Open fracture reduction and repair techniques
- Lab III – open fracture practice with cadavers
- Preparing specimens for necropsy/rabies testing
- Lab IV – specimen preparation with cadavers
Students receive a DVD with videos demonstrating procedures covered during the workshop, graphic handouts for fracture stabilization techniques, and an instrument set.