As many of our supporters know, we are being harassed and bullied by a relentless, mentally-troubled cyber-stalker, Mary Cummins of Animal Advocates, a suspended non-profit in the state of California for over a decade. Our case shows the lengths Cummins will go to in order to cause damage to an all-volunteer organization that relies solely on donations to save animals. In short, here is our story:
- June 2010: Mary Cummins attended an internship at Bat World Sanctuary (BWS) where she claimed to have bumped her head. After finding the work to challenging to complete, Cummins left the internship early. When she left, she demanded we pay her $2,500 for a cat-scan, which we refused.
- July 2010: Mary Cummins began making defamatory posts about BWS, alleging animal neglect among other things.
- August 2010: Mary Cummins began making false reports to numerous animal rescue and wildlife groups, as well as Texas Parks and Wildlife, the USDA, the Texas Veterinary Medical Board, the Texas Department of Health, USFWS, the Mineral Wells Department of Health, the City Manager, the Fire Marshal, Code Enforcement, the Chief of Police and the IRS. BWS welcomed investigations, all of which proved Cummins’ claims to be meritless. Click here to view the results.
Note: Had we not had an excellent working relationship with our local, state and federal agencies, all of our sanctuary animals – rescued bats and rescued dogs- might have been killed due to Cummins baseless allegations.
- September 2010: Bat World Sanctuary and Founder Amanda Lollar filed a defamation lawsuit against Mary Cummins.
- October 2010: Cummins began an online defamation crusade against animal rights attorney Randy Turner, who represents Bat World Sanctuary pro-bono. Cummins also began cyber-stalking Randy Turner, his wife and his son.
- May 2011: In an attempt to make us drop the lawsuit, Cummins used a video that she took while at BWS, editing it to make a life-saving procedure appear as an act of cruelty. She then uploaded this video to blogs and used it to make more false complaints to government officials.
- June 2011: Cummins became more malicious in posting defamation despite a court injunction ordering her to stop.
- June 2011: Cummins hired an attorney to represent her. The attorney later withdrew stating she lies and her claims are false.
- July 2011: Over the following months donations became nearly non-existent as Cummins is a search engine optimization expert and used “Google Bombs” to spread her horrendous defamation far and wide.
- July 2011: Cummins filed a retaliatory lawsuit in Federal Court, alleging Founder Amanda Lollar committed defamation against Cummins when Lollar defended BWS. Insurance provided attorney representation for BWS in California. Cummins case against Lollar was dismissed with prejudice.
- October 2011: Cummins appealed the above case against Amanda Lollar and lost her appeal.
- June 2012: After a four-day trial where Cummins represented herself, BWS and Founder Amanda Lollar were awarded a judgement of 6.1 Million against Cummins. Click here to read the complete trial transcript.
- June 2012: While at trial, Cummins served another lawsuit against Lollar, this time claiming a back injury after Cummins’ alleged bump on the head in 2010. (Bat World is being represented pro-bono in that case as well, and we fully expect it will be dismissed.)
- Sept. 2012: Cummins sued BWS’s expert witness at trial. The case was dismissed.
- October 2012: Cummins asked for a new trial and was denied.
- August 2012: Cummins filed an appeal of the 6.1 Million judgement against her.
- November 2012: Cummins began an online defamation crusade against the judges and witnesses involved in the trail.
- February 2013: The TX judgement was transferred to the State of CA for collection. Mary Cummins was notified by registered process server. After being served, Cummins stated that we “hired a thug to trespass on private property and assault/hit her with papers.” Click here to see a video of the actual event.
- July 2013: Mary Cummins bought the domains batworldsanctuary.com and .org in an apparent attempt to mislead the public with false information and cause more harm to BWS.
- August 2013: Collection efforts began on the 6.1 Million.
- August 2013: MC began engaging in “false victimization” (a common behavior among cyber-stalkers where they claim that they are the ones being stalked).
- September 2013: Cummins made false police reports about Amanda Lollar and then filed a Temporary Restraining Order against Lollar. Cummins’ case was dismissed and she ordered to pay Lollar’s attorney fees . The judge stated Cummins was abusing the legal system and further stated that she found Cummins “annoying.”
- September 2013: Cummins began posting veiled death threats against Lollar, claiming that the every LAPD officer she spoke with told her to shoot Lollar.
- October 2013: Cummins filed a motion to recuse the judge who heard the Temporary Restraining Order. Her motion was denied.
- November 2013: Cummins filed an appeal of the Restraining Order.
- December 2013: $4,300 was seized from Mary Cummins bank account. Efforts to collect the 6.1 Million (now 7 Million with interest) remain ongoing.
- May 2014: Mary Cummins tried to stop our subpoena to her bank account with a Motion to Quash (click here to read). She lost her Motion.
- May 2014 to present: Mary Cummins continues to cyber-stalk and defame Amanda Lollar and BWS, despite losing numerous times in court and potentially facing criminal contempt of court charges.
Mary Cummins is obsessive, vindictive and relentless. To date she has created hundreds of malicious and defamatory pages about Amanda Lollar and Bat World Sanctuary. She has also falsified government documents and uploaded these files in an attempt to provide manipulated “proof” for her lies. Since the trial, we have been contacted by over 20 professionals who were also attacked by Mary Cummins. These individuals include real estate agents, animal care specialists, journalists, an LA City Councilwoman, a stock broker, company owners, a rock star, a professional wrestler, attorneys and even neighbors. We have also discovered that she has been involved in over 30 lawsuits and has been sued four times for defamation.
Unfortunately, internet laws are not yet in place to stop the behavior of malcontents like Mary Cummins. We have created a Facebook page for other victims of cyber-stalking and adult bullying, to share and learn how to fight back. Our beloved attorney, Randy Turner, created a page on his own professional website which outlines what Cummins has done to us and continues to do to her victims.
Many people ask why Mary Cummins hasn’t been committed. The answer comes directly from a psychologist who visited our page and emailed us the following:
“The thing about being committed is that it is extremely expensive. As I write this, a year in state mental hospital is close to $150,000 where I live, in California. Fully 10% of the population is schizophrenic – and that is only one mental illness. So at this time, the only people in state mental hospitals are so extremely and gravely mentally ill that they have absolutely no concept of reality. It is extremely rare for even very severely ill people to be hospitalized these days. The days of committing mentally ill people are long gone and they will never come back. Just too expensive. …This woman is giving you hell and she sure looks like a jerk! But she isn’t saying that space aliens are controlling your bats and they are sneaking into her brain and making her hair sing. So she’s functioning and hurting people – but not out of touch with reality in the kind of way that would get her into hospital. Loads of people have personality disorders and they make others miserable – but they have jobs and families (sad) and function in all the ways that keep them housed, fed, and employed. …All of this is the real reason she has not been committed.”
Because Mary Cummins continues to post defamation about BWS on the internet after she was ordered to stop, she will eventually be charged with Contempt of Court with the likelihood of jail time after a decision is made on her appeal. Until then, our only recourse is to expose her malicious activities to our followers. We have also created a self-help page for others who are being cyber-stalked.
Please see the posts below for additional information.